Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Haiti

Let me first start by saying that my heart goes out to the people of Haiti. The devestation that this country has had to deal with is hard to cope with from the hurricanes to the recent eartquake that shook up the country. I have never been to the country but have a great deal of respect for the people there. Haiti being the first black independent country so they are a proud people and have every right to be.


The reason for this post is to share my thoughts on the recent news of the "missionaries" stealing the youth of that country. When I first heard about this I had to do a double take and pay attention to the news. My mind immediately said these people are trying to profit off of Haiti's pain. The more I paid attention my mind just started going. So it turns out the "missionaries" wanted to steal the "orphans" and get them adopted in the United States. I guess they would have a better life here. I could speak more about "missionaires" but maybe more at a later time. At this time there are a whole lot of people who want to adopt a lot of the youth from Haiti to give them a diferent life. Im not against adoption at all but from a lot of news reports and articles are reporting is that some of these kids indeed did have parents so that just made me confused.


Adoption is a double edged sword. They would be takin them from their native land native people and native language. Their whole way of life would be changed forever. Some of these orphans may not even know if their families are out there or not. its a sticky situation. Its like their roots are being uprooted. A person that doesnt have their roots are bound to be lost and not have proper direction in their life. I cant support any of that. On the other hand getting the orphans out of that environment could prove to be a good thing. With any adoption I would want dor the adoptive parents to have open and big hearts and be willing to take on that responsibility that comes with having kids. They would also need space and a plan for that child. The orphans would need more than just "things". I would hope that they would bring the orpphans to a new situation that would help them prosper educationally emotionally socially and skillfully. If all of this can happen then im wit it. What cant happen is people doing it for some stacks ($) or because its just the popular thing to do right now. Like any child they are gonna require nuff time attention patience love equality etc etc.


My hope is that the world will continue to help Haiti out during this tough time. There has been an outpour of $$$ and aid to Haiti but if you've been paying close enough Haiti has slipped away from the headlines for whatever reason. The superbowl just went down the east coast is being hit with a rash of winter storms mudslides in cali lil wayne missin jail for his teeth. I mean its a lot goin on in this world granted but Haiti has to be built up stronger than ever. It has to built up from the inside out and the outside in. The humanitarian just doesnt want them to be taken advantage of. Only time will tell


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment